Our August meeting will follow a different format than recent workshops. The location and time will remain the same:
Living Hope Church
330 Schantz Road, Allentown
…but the evening’s order of events will be new. Here is the idea:
1) Everybody will bring a work to share! No need to send it to the host for approval ahead of time. It can be good, bad, new, old, polished, rough… Here are the only guidelines:
– It must take 5 minutes or fewer to read/perform/present.
– It must be something that you take seriously (a work that you would like to bring to a professional or highly artistic level)
2) We will share all the works one after another, without discussion breaks in between. Come prepared to take notes during the presentations.
3) Then we will spend the rest of the evening discussing the theological implications of the works–whatever topics that prompt brings up. This might include the following:
– It is okay for a Christian to include explicit sexual content in a work of art? What about the ways those topics are expressed in this particular work of art?
– What about profanity?
– What about violence?
– Is it better to express faith explicitly or implicitly in a work? What about the ways faith is presented in particular works this evening?
– What worldviews or perspectives are presented in these pieces, consciously or unconsciously?
– What responsibilities do we have as Christians in the arts? Do we always have to present good role models? Do we always have to tell the Gospel? Do we have to present the world as it is, or as it should be?
Note: you do NOT have to think about these questions when you choose what to share. In fact, it might make for a better discussion if you did not choose a work that you think raises a particular theological topic. Let the other members, your audience, raise whatever questions your piece evokes in their minds.
Here are some resources you might want to check out to prepare yourself for this discussion:
Please send me links to any others you recommend. Cheers.